Amara Raja to set up India’s largest Lithium Ion Cell Manufacturing facility till date with an investment of ₹9,500 Cr, further reinforcing Telangana’s position as an ideal destination for EV and Advanced Cell Chemistry (ACC) Manufacturing.
- Proposed facility at Mahbubnagar district in Telangana will have a Lithium Cell Gigafactory with ultimate capacity up to 16 GWh and a Battery Pack Assembly unit up to 5 GWh
- Amara Raja Batteries intends to invest INR 9,500 crores in the region over the next ten years
As the latest in its pivot to becoming an ‘Energy & Mobility’ enterprise, Amara Raja Batteries has chosen the State of Telangana to house the Amara Raja Giga Corridor. The initial facilities would include a first-of-its kind advanced energy research and innovation center in Hyderabad, dubbed the Amara Raja E-hub. This facility will be equipped with advanced laboratories and testing infrastructure for material research, prototyping, product life cycle analysis and Proof of Concept demonstration. This will cater to the development needs of the Amara Raja as well as to provide a range of facilities open to other players in the energy and mobility ecosystem.
Amara Raja envisions the E-hub to serve as a much-needed catalyst for multi-stakeholder collaboration and fostering entrepreneurship in these emerging sectors, in line with the ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ vision of the Government of India. In addition, as part of its journey towards Giga scale manufacturing of advanced cell technology products, Amara Raja would be establishing commercial scale pilot plant and the first giga scale cell production facility. Towards this, the company had on 3rd November 2022 announced the incorporation of a subsidiary named Amara Raja Advanced Cell Technologies Pvt. Ltd. Amara Raja has been working on Li-ion cell chemistries specifically suited for Indian subcontinent conditions, and already supplies lithium battery packs and chargers to some 2 and 3-Wheeler OEMs.
- Telangana has been a frontrunner in adopting sustainability and clean energy, while we remain focussed on making India self-reliant. Today, Amara Raja, a renowned brand from India, setting up their lithium-ion cell manufacturing plant in Telangana further validates the State’s commitment towards clean energy and electric mobility.
- With 9,500 crores investment, Amara Raja shall install 16 GWh (giga watt hour) li-ion cell manufacturing output. This is not only the Group’s largest investment till date, but it is also India’s largest investment in advanced cell chemistry till date.
- Telangana has been working on developing essential infrastructure, like water, electricity, social infrastructure, improving quality of living, increasing per capita and social standards, creating talented workforce, and that is now allowing us to attract large scale investments in the new and emerging technologies. Now, we rank amongst the top States in our ability to attract extremely large size investments in manufacturing.
- With Amara Raja’s Li-ion cell manufacturing plant in Divitipally, Telangana becomes one of the few regions in the world to host an advanced cell chemistry giga factory.
- We are now confident that this project by Amara Raja will act as a catalyst and has the potential to spur development of a comprehensive EV and ACC (Advanced Cell Chemistry) ecosystem in Telangana, thus creating a large scale manufacturing hub, creating many direct and indirect jobs.
- And with our progressive EV adoption policy, plus our ability to give electricity 24 by 7, we aim to become the most ‘electrified state’ in mobility in India.
- I am very impressed with Amara Raja’s vision of bringing high tech manufacturing to rural communities. I am very happy to hear Amara Raja’s commitment towards skilling local manpower and recruiting them. This will immensely benefit the local youth.
- We really appreciate Amara Raja’s foray into Advanced Cell Chemistry Manufacturing, which is very much the need of the hour to make India self-reliant in the EV ecosystem.
- In Telangana, we are pursuing a comprehensive strategy to bring manufacturing of various components of the ecosystem, the cell manufacturing, cell component manufacturing, battery charging stations, EV manufacturing in 2-wheeler, 3-wheeler, buses, and we are even taking steps towards refining of Lithium in the State.
- We have identified many clusters for EV and ACC manufacturing, in Sitarampur/Chandanavelly, Zaheerabad, and Divitipally. Amara Raja will be the anchor unit in India’s first dedicated Energy Storage Solution Cluster at Divitipally.
- Today, Hyderabad is known as the go-to destination for IT and Pharma companies and it is becoming the country’s Innovation Hub.
- Going forward, Telangana shall also become the ideal destination for Electronics, EV and Cell manufacturing.
- We happily welcome Amara Raja’s plant in Telangana. We are highly confident of Amara Raja’s potential in executing this project. And I assure our whole-hearted and best support from the Government in executing and operationalizing and scaling this project.