DEPARTMENT OF INDUSTRIES AND COMMERCE,
GOVERNMENT OF TELANGANA
Amarnath Reddy A
Chief Relations Officer,
Industry outlook, Opportunity in Telangana
- The Indian M&E industry is projected to grow at a pace of 14% over the period 2016-2021, outshining the global average of 4.2% CAGR, with advertising revenue expected to increase at a compounded Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 15.3% during the same period.
- Television is expected to grow at a CAGR of 14.7% over the next five years as both advertisement and subscription revenues are projected to exhibit strong growth at 14.4% and 14.8% respectively.
- Focus on the ‘kids’ genre’ is growing with a rise in dedicated TV channels for them. As the advertising Industry grows, the share of animation driven advertisements is also expected to grow.
- Surge in 3D/HD animated movies in theatres and use of animation and VFX in TV advertising and gaming. Growing outsourcing of VFX and gaming to India is due to cost effectiveness of Indian players.
- Gaming industry in India reached Rs 62 billion (US$ 890 million) in FY19 from Rs 24 billion (US$ 343.40 million) in FY18, and is expected to reach US$ 3.58 billion by 2024.
- Animation and VFX industry in India reached Rs 87.7 billion (US$ 1.25 billion) in FY19. It is expected to grow at a CAGR of 16 per cent till FY24 and reach Rs 184 billion (US$ 2.63 billion).
- Digitalisation has played a major role in the growth of Indian film industry. The Indian film industry is expected to grow at a rate of 11.9 per cent by 2020.
- Total subscriber base for Indian television industry was expected to increase to 195 million by 2019 from 183 million in 2017. Between 30-35 million OTT subscribers are expected by 2021.
Telangana is a State with a legacy of rich cultural heritage & tourism. It has evolved as a Cultural & Tourism capital right from Art markets, Paintings to Dance, Music, Sculpture, Cinemas, Comics etc. and is now emerging as a leader for eco-tourism and entertainment. It has evolved its own inherent skill and it is poised to impact the global entertainment scenario through the Indian film festival. The holistic development of the State right from Agriculture to Manufacturing, Manufacturing to IT, ITES to Media & Entertainment and to other contemporary development symbolizes true convergence of Technology, Art, Science and Culture.
“HYDERABAD HAS EMERGED AS ONE OF THE FOREMOST CENTRES OF CULTURE IN INDIA, WITH ARTISTS MIGRATING TO THE CITY FROM THE REST OF THE INDIAN SUBCONTINENT.”
- To boost the maturing AVGC ecosystem in Telangana, the state government is creating a A fully equipped state of the art tower with 1.6 Million sft of Grade – A space. An investment of Rs. 1,200 Crores for facilitating over 30,000 workforces is going into the same.
- Telangana has 150 companies working in the VFX space providing direct employment to 30,000 people.
- The VFX and animation work for some of the biggest movies like Life of Pi, Bahubali, Magadheera and Arundhati was done in Hyderabad.
- Ramoji Film City in Hyderabad has been involved in the making of Hollywood motion pictures by providing equipment, crew, sets and post-production facilities.
- Tollywood (Telugu Film Industry)is India’s second largest producer of motion pictures.
India Joy is a congregation of various flagship events related to the Media & Entertainment industry and the counterpart. A weeklong Celebration of Indian Animation, VFX, Gaming, e-Sports, and Film content on a global level. Indiajoy is not just a B2B event. It brings together all the stakeholders of the Industry such as Governments, Corporates, Working professionals and Students, and caters Optimal opportunities and Entertainment. It’s a one-stop destination to understand Media & Entertainment ecosystem in India.The amazing two-day event will feature panels, discussions and networking with an array of distinguished animation and visual effects professionals.
VFX and Post Production
Augmented & Virtual Reality
Other Enabling Factors
- Reasonable cost & abundant human resource.
- Existence of Animation, Visual effects, Comics & Gaming industry in the State: International players like Walt Disney, Sony Entertainment, Microsoft, Electronic Arts etc. and domestic players like Tata Elxsi, Purple Talk, Prime Focus, Rythm & Hues, Prasad EFX, DQ entertainment, 7Seas Entertainment, Green Gold, Makuta, Fire Fly, etc. are present in the State.
- Low cost of living & transportation and world class social amenities. E.g: Ramoji Film City in Hyderabad has been involved in the making of Hollywood motion pictures by providing equipment, crew, sets and post-production facilities.
- Proven experience and record of IT industry in the state – Major opportunity Bollywood and Tollywood- Pre and Post production works
- Experience human resources in Multi-platform development and design.
- Fast growing telecom industry and improvised mobile connectivity.
Eco system partners:
- STPI, CII, MESE, MEAI, SEPC, FICCI
Nature of the Interation:
- Conduct events, Collaboratively participate in Global Events, Facilitate business and networking platforms, Gathering Survey information and device policies.
TVAGA (Telangana Visual effects, Animation, Gaming Association) is an active industry body that works actively with the Government for promoting the ecosystem.
Allu Aravind at India Joy Event 2019 Hyderabad
Hyderabad was one of the first cities to start animation along with Mumbai, Chennai and Thiruvananthapuram a few years ago. And now it has a policy put in place by the government. It is definitely the most progressive policy in India as it has given direction on how industry could be looked into for growth. The setting up of IMAGE Tower will not only help Indian studios but even foreign ones to come together and create unique content. TASK is a phenomenal initiative and they are looking at AVGC as a champion sector to develop it.
It was great to see first-hand the work the teams located at Digital Domain (Hyderabad) is doing. It is very inspiring to see such talent in the space being well supported by the Government.
In the News
Got questions on Policy Suggestions & Clarifications, Unsolicited Proposal Submissions, Grievance Collections
Click on the button below and share your queries with us!
Investing in us?
Please get in touch with us by sharing your details and our team will reach out to assist you with the same.
Click on the button below!
Invest Telangana Cell,
Industries & Commerce (I&C) Department,
5th Floor, BRKR Bhavan, Hyderabad,
Should you have any questions, or wish to speak to our Qualified Financial Advisors at Telangana, Please Contact Us.