DEPARTMENT OF INDUSTRIES AND COMMERCE,
GOVERNMENT OF TELANGANA
& 50% of bulk drug
exports of India
Life Sciences and Pharma
Industry outlook, Opportunity in Telangana
Indian pharmaceutical sector is expected to grow at a CAGR of 22.4 per cent and medical device market expected to grow US$ 25 billion by 2025. Currently, India is the second largest contributor of global biotech and pharmaceutical workforce. The pharmaceutical sector was valued at US$ 33 billion in 2017. Indian pharmaceutical industry supplies over 50 per cent of global demand for various vaccines, 40% of generic demand in the US and 25 per cent of all medicine in UK. India accounts for 20 per cent of global exports in generics. India’s pharmaceutical exports stood at US$ 13.69 billion in FY20 (up to January 2020). The exports are expected to reach US$ 22 billion by 2020. By 2024-25, India’s biotech industry is estimated to increase to US$ 100 billion.
Telangana state contributes nearly one-third to India’s production and one-fifth to its exports in the pharmaceutical sector. Telangana is pharmaceutical manufacturing hub in the country attracts over Rs 10,000 crore (US$ 1.49 billion) investments in the life sciences sector in the past four years. Pharmaceutical exports also have a majority share in the total merchandise exports from the state. During 2019-20 (up to December 2019) pharmaceutical products exports from the state stood at US$ 3.48 billion. Hyderabad is considered as the Life Sciences Capital of India with over 800 life sciences companies. Over the last four years, Telangana has attracted more than Rs. 10,000 crore investment in the life sciences sector.
Vision 2030: To become the leading life-sciences hub in Asia through innovation-driven & tech- enabled growth, while doubling the sectoral value to USD 100 Billion and adding 400,000 new jobs.
Skilling & Ecosystem:
- #20 incubators focused on Pharma and healthcare – Highest in India.
- Pioneer in manufacturing & export of Bulk Drug since 1970s.
- National Centers of Excellence – IICT; CCMB; CDFD; NIN; DRILS
- Premier industry focused institutions: University of Hyderabad, NIPER, NALSAR, ISB
Hyderabad Pharmacity | Corporate Video
With a high quality talent pool, Hyderabad has emerged as proactive and industry friendly. Government of Telangana lead by its able and visionary Chief Minister bekons investments in the pharmaceutical sector with its promise of building a cost-efficient and a world-class manufacturing and R&D ecosystem.
We are currently present in 58 countries and have a turnover of around $2 billion a year. We scouted the country for finalising the location and decided on Hyderabad. Infrastructure, quality talent, advanced education system and the warm support from the authorities of the state have attracted us to this place.
Hyderabad Pharma City
Telangana State Industrial Infrastructure Corporation Limited has come up with Hyderabad Pharma City Project in Ranga Reddy, Telangana with a ticket size of USD 3.57 bn . This project in Pharma & Biotech sub-sector involves Setting up of a new unit and offers an opportunity for Project Developer. The current status of the project is Tender Invited.
- World’s largest integrated pharma cluster spread over 19000 acres.
- Regulatory enclave and Export promotion cell proposed as a part of the pharma city.
- Environmentally cleared cluster with investment potential of $ 9.7 Bn
- 560,000 Jobs creation potential
First and only systematically planned and developed cluster dedicated to life sciences in the country. Attracts mix of companies belonging to Agri-biotech, CRM, Pharmaceuticals, Biopharma, Vaccine space and Medical Devices space.
- India’s first and largest Life Sciences manufacturing cluster.
- 4 out of 5 leading manufacturers of vaccine are present here and home to more than 200 companies.
- India’s 1st National Resource Facility for Biomedical Research (NARF)
- Asia’s leading R&D and Innovation Hotspot.
- 6 out of 10 world’s top 10 R&D companies are in Genome Valley.
- 3 leading vaccine manufacturers in India are in Genome Valley.
- 150 life sciences companies, 10,000 employees.
Medical Devices Park
Medical devices park at Sultanpur, about 50 kilometers from Hyderabad. The park is spread over an area of 276 acres. It aims to offer facilities for manufacturing, laboratory testing, prototyping and innovation in medical devices. The park had garnered around INR 1000 crore in investment. Key medical device companies that have invested in the park include. About 25 companies are in the process of establishing their R&D and manufacturing units including Sahajanand Medical Technologies, Promea Therapeutics Private Limited, Arka Medical Devices, Virchow Biotech, among others.
- Country’s largest medical devices park.
- Spread across 250 acres with dedicated ecosystem for MedTech innovation.
- Hosts Asia’s largest coronary stent manufacturing facility.
- Companies in Medical Devices Park engaged in orthopedic implantation, ultrasound scanners, sterile kits, prosthetics etc.
- Common scientific amenities that are often used for medical device tenants.
- Common Facilities for Medical Device Testing.
Got questions on Policy Suggestions & Clarifications, Unsolicited Proposal Submissions, Grievance Collections
Click on the button below and share your queries with us!
Investing in us?
Please get in touch with us by sharing your details and our team will reach out to assist you with the same.
Click on the button below!
Invest Telangana Cell,
Industries & Commerce (I&C) Department,
5th Floor, BRKR Bhavan, Hyderabad,
Should you have any questions, or wish to speak to our Qualified Financial Advisors at Telangana, Please Contact Us.